May 8, 2014 Orange, Calif.
Left to right: Moderator Jennifer Turney with panelists Paulette Dillon, Dr. Robert Weathers, Jennifer Gulczynski, and Dr. Melinda Drake.
Photo provided by: California Southern University
“Every person belongs to something. We didn’t grow up like little mushrooms in the dark… They find support in some person they met along the way. And that becomes the family.” – Melinda Drake, PhD
Addiction professionals in the Orange, California, community and beyond came together on May 8, 2014, to discuss family dynamics in addiction treatment. The event, produced by Addiction Professional, featured several panelists to provide their insights:
- Paulette Dillon, CADC-II, Director of Outreach and Marketing at Twin Town Treatment Centers
- Melinda Drake, PhD, Director of The Canyon at Santa Monica, part of Foundations Recovery Network
- Jennifer Gulczynski, Clinical Director of Forterus Health Care Services, part of American Addiction Centers
- Robert Weathers, PhD, Curriculum Developer at California Southern University
The event was moderated by Jennifer Turney of Addiction Professional. Each panelist shared unique insight on the challenges and opportunities faced in working with families. Click below to listen to podcasts.
- Speaking from personal experience, Dillon encouraged providers to have a flexible and engaging approach in working with families.
- Dr. Drake noted that providers should not limit their definitions of “family,” pointing out that everyone has significant influences in their lives and that no one “grows up like little mushrooms in the dark.”
- Dr. Weathers pointed out that ultimately the entire human family has a responsibility to address the disease of addiction.
- Gulczynski advised providers to help couples move beyond “who did what” and focus on what’s happening now in treatment.
- Dr. Weathers detailed the role of a family-oriented systems therapist in dealing with the “incredible slush fund of unprocessed emotion” that can block recovery.
The event was made possible through the support of Dominion Diagnostics, American Addiction Centers, California Southern University, Foundations Recovery Network, and Valley Hope Technology.
Series Thought Leadership Partner