June 19, 2014
"If we are not dealing with the family, we are not addressing the addiction. Bottom line."--Gary Hees
Addiction professionals in the Denver, Colorado, community and beyond came together on June 19, 2014, to discuss family dynamics in addiction treatment. The event, produced by Addiction Professional, featured several panelists to provide their perspective:
- Michael Barnes, PhD, LPC, Clinical Program Manager at CeDAR (Center for Dependency, Addiction & Rehabilitation) [Link “CeDAR” to https://www.uchealth.org/cedar/Pages/default.aspx]
- Gary D. Hees, MA, LPC, Clinical Director of Decision Point Center [http://www.decisionpointcenter.com/]
- Brooke R. Tangen Huus, MA, LAC, Family Counselor at Parker Valley Hope [www.valleyhope.org]
- Marvin Ventrell, JD, Director of Community & Alumni Relations at Harmony Foundation
The event was moderated by Addiction Professional Publisher Doug Edwards. Each panelist shared unique insight on the challenges and opportunities faced in working with families. Click below to listen to podcasts.
- Tangen Huus identified the importance of helping family members work through their fear
- Ventrell described what it will take for payers and policy makers to recognize and reimburse services for family members
- Dr. Barnes noted the dearth of research and training on family issues
- Hees emphasized that there is no way to avoid working with families in treatment
The event was made possible through the support of Dominion Diagnostics, CeDAR, Decision Point Center/Northridge Counseling, The Rose House, and Valley Hope Association.
Series Thought Leadership Partner