Earn continuing education credits by taking this quiz on the article in this issue. A grade of 70% or above will earn you a certificate of completion for two nationally certified continuing education hours. This is an open-book quiz. After reading the article, complete the quiz by circling one of the three multiple-choice answers for each question. Please give only one response per question. Incomplete answers will be marked as incorrect. Send a photocopy of the page along with your payment of $35 (NAADAC members) or $50 (nonmembers). Please complete fully the information section below; print clearly.
1. The authors state that this characteristic of some problematic sexual behavior also is a key component in initiating and perpetuating substance addiction.
2. The only sex-related question on the Addiction Severity Index (ASI) questionnaire asks about:
a. Sexual functioning.
b. Sexual victimization.
c. Sexual satisfaction.
3. Stepping Stone of San Diego's “sex positive” approach to treatment mainly emphasizes creating this type of environment for discussing sexual issues.
4. Stepping Stone's Discovering Sexual Health in Recovery (DSHR) program offers didactic presentations and process group interactions over this period of time.
a. 3 weeks
b. 6 weeks
c. 12 weeks
5. The outpatient manager at Stepping Stone explains that in some programs, clients' willingness to disclose a breakthrough issue related to sex gets thwarted by:
a. Confidentiality concerns.
b. Counselor unease.
c. Program management policies.
6. The case of Larry that is described in the article involves the subject's learning the skill of:
a. Managing a relationship while sober.
b. Talking to his partner about sexual issues.
c. Being open in treatment.
7. The case of Paul illustrates the often seen link between sexual behavior and use of this substance.
8. Paul was able to reduce dysfunctional behaviors through treatment that involved role playing and:
a. Feedback from fellow patients.
b. Intensive one-on-one therapy.
c. Experimental therapies.
9. The case of Brian illustrated a situation in which the subject had named this as the reason for discord with his partner.
a. Her lack of interest in sex
b. Her judgmental behavior
c. Her nagging and complaining
10. Brian committed to working on this as a possible precursor to a better sex life with his partner.
a. His workaholism
b. His communication skills
c. His abundance of outside interests
Addiction Professional 2009 July-August;7(4):55