Earn continuing education credits by taking this quiz on the CE article in this issue. A grade of 70% or above will earn you a certificate of completion for two nationally certified continuing education hours. This is an open-book quiz. After reading the article, complete the quiz by circling one of the three multiple-choice answers for each question. Please give only one response per question. Incomplete answers will be marked as incorrect. Send a photocopy of the page along with your payment of $35 (NAADAC members) or $50 (nonmembers). Please complete fully the information section below; print clearly.
1. The author states that the number of all licensed and unlicensed professionals in the substance use treatment workforce falls under this figure.
2. The author found that in his work for an adolescent outpatient treatment center, the attempt to fill this staff position proved particularly challenging.
a. Certified counselor
b. Clinical director
3. This source of funding made it possible for that adolescent treatment center to bring on the staff expertise it needed.
a. State grant money
b. Private donations
c. Local government aid
4. In working with a treatment agency that served male inmates, this factor was cited as the primary reason for high staff turnover.
a. Disputes with prison management
b. Low compensation
c. High stress
5. The prison-based treatment program faced this state requirement regarding the work of female counselors.
a. Each woman had to work in tandem with a male counselor.
b. Group sessions led by women had to have two female counselors present.
c. Women did not work with inmates at the highest-security level of custody.
6. This percentage of therapeutic community programs surveyed by their trade association reported experiencing a workforce shortage in 2006.
7. The Annapolis Coalition reports this level of turnover in addiction treatment agencies' directors and front-line staff in any given year.
8. The author states that the research institutes under the National Institutes of Health could team up with this federal agency to begin research that would assist in counselor recruiting.
a. The Department of Labor
b. The Department of Commerce
c. The Department of Health and Human Services
9. The author states that public-private partnerships to identify best practices in workforce recruitment could be modeled after:
a. Economic development offices.
b. Private Industry Councils.
c. Chambers of commerce.
10. The author estimates that workforce costs represent this percentage of human service agencies' operating budgets.
Addiction Professional 2008 December;6(7):31