Earn continuing education credits by taking this quiz on this article. A grade of 70% or above will earn you a certificate of completion for two nationally certified continuing education hours. This is an open-book quiz. After reading the article, complete the quiz by circling one of the three multiple-choice answers for each question. Please give only one response per question. Incomplete answers will be marked as incorrect. Send a photocopy of the page along with your payment of $35 (NAADAC members) or $50 (nonmembers). Please complete fully the information section below; print clearly.
1. The author states that the number of incarcerated African- American women in the United States has risen by this percentage since 1986.
2. In the redesign of its service system, the California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs emphasized the Institute of Medicine model for this topic critical to effective service delivery.
c. Client engagement
3. The author states that most African-American treatment clients enter the system through either the criminal justice system or:
a. Mental health.
b. Primary care referral.
c. Child welfare.
4. The author cites this factor initially as the explanation for the difficulties many African-American clients experience in becoming engaged in treatment.
a. Cultural norms
b. Understaffed programs
c. Concerns about their employment status
5. This aesthetic feature is cited as a vehicle for helping to create a welcoming treatment environment for the African-American client.
a. Contemporary artwork
b. Artwork and other media that portray African-Americans positively
c. Traditional interior layouts
6. The author uses this term to evaluate the need for a presence of African-American staff professionals in a program serving African-Americans.
7. The author specifically cites this as an important element of clinical staff members' cultural competency training.
a. Self-identification of cultural biases
b. Informal discussions with diverse client populations
c. Role-playing exercises
8. Use of this label might alienate some African-American clients who do not meet its strict definition.
b. “Dually diagnosed”
9. The author states that post-discharge support sessions ideally should be made available for this period.
a. Six months
b. One year
c. Three years
10. Clients who become only “institutionally compliant” with a treatment program might never engage in this process during treatment.
a. Group therapy
b. Talking openly about their problems
c. Addressing family dynamics
Addiction Professional 2008 November;6(6):39