Earn continuing education credits by taking this quiz on the article that begins on page 36 of this issue. A grade of 70% or above will earn you a certificate of completion for two nationally certified continuing education hours. This is an open-book quiz. After reading the article, complete the quiz by circling one of the three multiple-choice answers for each question. Please give only one response per question. Incomplete answers will be marked as incorrect. Send a photocopy of the page along with your payment of $35. Please complete fully the information section below; print clearly.
1. The author suggests that clinical managers in therapeutic community programs must resist pressure from licensing and funding authorities to embrace:
a. A more punitive approach for program violators.
b. Staff-led interventions.
c. Less group treatment.
2. Some early dropouts from a TC program can be attributed to program structures that are too:
a. Based on work tasks.
b. Authoritarian and rigid.
c. Closely monitored by justice system officials.
3. Many TC clinicians attribute their “in-your-face” style toward residents to:
a. Their own experiences in treatment.
b. Their clinical training.
c. Prevailing trends in the larger treatment community.
4. The author's contention about the need to give TC residents a central role in shaping their destiny stems from a similar focus seen in:
a. School systems.
b. Mental health programs.
c. The workplace.
5. Which of these activities is
not mentioned as an area that has been formally emphasized in helping Odyssey House clients find purpose and direction?
6. Individual psychotherapy may assist some TC residents because it offers:
a. Stability amid the many demands of the TC program.
b. An alternative to some TC program sessions.
c. A bridge to psychiatric services.
7. Psychotherapy services can be deemphasized when the client:
a. Leaves the TC program.
b. Begins to form a bond with the resident group.
c. Requests a change to the treatment schedule.
8. Art activities at Odyssey House are different from art used in some other behavioral health settings in this respect.
a. It is a less structured activity.
b. It uses the medium of painting only.
c. It is not intended to address unconscious conflicts.
9. Which of these activities falls under Odyssey House's goal of engaging residents' intellect?
a. GED training
b. Job placement services
c. Daily discussions of news events
10. Where on the “developmental scale” does the author place the therapeutic community in general?
b. Early adolescence
c. Early adulthood