June 5, 2013 Salt Lake City, Utah
Addiction professionals in the Salt Lake City, Utah, community and beyond came together on June 5, 2013, to discuss building a recovery-oriented system of care (ROSC). The event, produced by Addiction Professional, featured several panelists to provide their insights on ROSC:
- Jason Chane, executive director of the Men's Program at Benchmark Recovery Center in Texas
- Michael Desjardins, APRN PMHNP-BC, a board-certified family psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner at Journey Healing Centers
- Christina Nielson Zidow, LCSW, MSW, BA, director of clinical operations at Odyssey House of Utah
(For full biographies of the panelists click www.addictionpro.com/page2/speakers-building-recovery-oriented-system-ca...">http://www.addictionpro.com/page2/speakers-building-recovery-oriented-sy...">here.)
The event was moderated by Addiction Professional publisher Doug Edwards. Each panelist shared unique insight on the challenges and opportunities faced in building a ROSC, and addressing community-wide stigma that impedes the development of a ROSC occupied a large part of the discussion. Click below to listen to podcasts.
- www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-stepping-change-face-recovery">http://www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-stepping-change-face-recovery" target="_blank">Chane emphasized that all addiction professionals can be effective advocates for building a ROSC.
- www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-helping-people-find-right-path-reco...">http://www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-helping-people-find-right-pa..." target="_blank">Zidow pointed out that being involved in the larger community, and the addiction treatment community specifically, helps professionals be better stewards for recovery in general and their patients in particular.
- www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-were-carrying-torch-reduce-stigma">http://www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-were-carrying-torch-reduce-s..." target="_blank">Desjardins highlighted that the field has been able to address stigma relating to addiction, but there is still a long way to go.
The local FOX affiliate, FOX 13 News, covered this panel series event. http://fox13now.com/2013/06/08/panel-offers-insight-into-addiction/" target="_blank">Click here to watch video.
The event was made possible through the support of www.dominiondiagnostics.com/">http://www.dominiondiagnostics.com/">Dominion Diagnostics, www.journeyhealingcenters.com/">http://www.journeyhealingcenters.com/">Journey Healing Centers,www.benchmarkcenter.com/">http://www.benchmarkcenter.com/">Benchmark Recovery Center, and www.beaconhouse.org/">http://www.beaconhouse.org/">Beacon House.
www.dominiondiagnostics.com">http://www.dominiondiagnostics.com" target="_blank">www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/dominion_wo_tag.jpg">http://www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/dominion_w..." style="width: 173px; height: 90px" /> www.journeyhealingcenters.com/">http://www.journeyhealingcenters.com/" target="_blank">www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/RE2_JourneyHealin...">http://www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/RE2_Journe..." style="width: 215px; height: 99px;" /> www.benchmarkcenter.com/">http://www.benchmarkcenter.com/" target="_blank">www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/BRC%20LOGO%201.jpg">http://www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/BRC%20LOGO..." style="width: 170px; height: 138px;" /> www.beaconhouse.org/">http://www.beaconhouse.org/" target="_blank">www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/REBeaconHouse%20c...">http://www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/REBeaconHo..." style="width: 171px; height: 96px" />