June 4, 2013 Charlotte, North Carolina
“Sometimes you just need to get everybody together in a room to talk about what’s working for them so we can share resources and see what other people are doing, but also to talk about what the issues and concerns are and how can we collaborate and work together.”—Connie Mele
Addiction professionals in the Charlotte, North Carolina, community and beyond came together on June 4, 2013, to discuss building a recovery-oriented system of care (ROSC). The event, produced by Addiction Professional at the McLeod Addictive Disease Center, featured several panelists to provide their insights on ROSC:
- Connie Mele, MSN, RN, LCAS, PMHCNS-BC, CARN-AP, director of provided services for Mecklenburg County (Charlotte)
- Trina Fullard, MA CCS, LCAS, vice president of information systems at the McLeod Center in Charlotte
- Beth Fisher, LCSW, LCAS, MAC, CCS, executive director of the National Association of Recovery Residences and president of Hope Homes, Inc.
- Jason Chane, executive director of the Men's Program at Benchmark Recovery Center in Texas
(For full biographies of the panelists click www.addictionpro.com/page2/speakers-building-recovery-oriented-system-ca...">http://www.addictionpro.com/page2/speakers-building-recovery-oriented-sy...">here.)
The event was moderated by Addiction Professional publisher Doug Edwards. Each panelist shared unique insight on the challenges and opportunities faced by building a ROSC. Click below to listen to podcasts.
- www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-encouraging-recovering-individuals-...">http://www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-encouraging-recovering-indiv..." target="_blank">Chane stressed that ROSC should not only help people develop full lives but also encourage them to have fun.
- www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-empowering-clients-see-disease-addi...">http://www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-empowering-clients-see-disea..." target="_blank">Responding to a question from the audience, Chane discussed how his organization helps clients become visible advocates for recovery
- www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-increasing-awareness-and-presence-w...">http://www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-increasing-awareness-and-pre..." target="_blank">Fisher emphasized that providers must be willing to shed their own stigma and be visible members of the greater community in order for a ROSC to develop.
- www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-developing-internal-capabilities-he...">http://www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-developing-internal-capabili..." target="_blank">Fullard shared how her organization is developing internal capabilities to help recovering people transition back into the community
- www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-importance-collaboration-building-rosc">http://www.addictionpro.com/article/podcast-importance-collaboration-bui..." target="_blank">Mele reminded the audience of everyone’s role in making a ROSC reality.
The event was made possible through the support of www.dominiondiagnostics.com/">http://www.dominiondiagnostics.com/">Dominion Diagnostics, the www.mcleodcenter.com/">http://www.mcleodcenter.com/">McLeod Center, and www.benchmarkcenter.com/">http://www.benchmarkcenter.com/">Benchmark Recovery Center .
www.benchmarkcenter.com/">http://www.benchmarkcenter.com/" target="_blank">www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/BRC%20LOGO%201.jpg">http://www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/BRC%20LOGO..." style="width: 130px; height: 106px;" />www.dominiondiagnostics.com">http://www.dominiondiagnostics.com" target="_blank"> www.dominiondiagnostics.com">http://www.dominiondiagnostics.com" target="_blank"> www.dominiondiagnostics.com">http://www.dominiondiagnostics.com" target="_blank">www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/dominion_wo_tag.jpg">http://www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/dominion_w..." style="width: 164px; height: 85px" />www.dominiondiagnostics.com">http://www.dominiondiagnostics.com" target="_blank"> www.mcleodcenter.com/">http://www.mcleodcenter.com/" target="_blank">www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/McLeod%20Logo.jpg">http://www.addictionpro.com/sites/addictionpro.com/files/u682/McLeod%20L..." style="width: 115px; height: 102px;" />