Elements Behavioral Health and Promises Treatment Centers have announced the appointment of Gregory E. Skipper, MD, as Director of Professional Health Services. Dr. Skipper has had a widely influential career, both in the United States and abroad, shaping and developing the physician health movement.
Currently, the Medical Director of the Alabama Physician Health Program, Dr. Skipper brings more than two decades of leadership in the treatment of impaired professionals to Promises having served as:
- Medical Director, Springbrook NW
- Advisor, Betty Ford Center, development of their Licensed Professionals Program
- Advisor, Oregon Medical Board development of the state’s Physician Health Program
- Member of the National Advisory Council for the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, appointed by the secretary of Health and Human Services.
Elements CEO, Dr. David Sack believes Dr. Skippers’ extensive experience leading professionals treatment and monitoring programs will be significant assets to Promises’ professional clients: “Physicians and other professionals face considerable challenges in receiving treatment for emotional issues and drug or alcohol problems that affect their work. Promises is committed to assisting professionals through comprehensive assessment and treatment that provides a path to returning to a successful life.”
An internationally recognized expert on addiction treatment, Dr. Skipper frequently lectures on a broad range of topics. He is particularly well known for his innovative work with ethylglucuronide, EtG, a new alcohol marker used to better document abstinence. Among Dr. Skipper’s many accomplishments:
- Fellow of the American Board of Addiction Medicine
- Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine,
- Consultant to the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research and Drug Abuse Advisory Committee
- Medical Director, Professional Boundaries, Inc, providing CME courses nationally dedicated to improving professional boundaries and ethics among physicians
- Principle Investigator, The "Blueprint Study": National Study of Physician Health Programs, sponsored by a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grant
- Member of the California Society of Addiction Medicine Clinical Advisory Committee Task force on Physician Health (advisory to the California Patient Protection Physician Health board)
Promises’ Professionals Treatment Program (PTP), which includes Intensive Diagnostic Evaluations, was formally established in May of 2009. Since then, the PTP has experienced significant growth and is currently an approved treatment provider for: fourteen U.S. states, three Canadian provinces, numerous hospital wellbeing committees and corporations.
Ongoing staff and program improvements are central to the mission of Elements Behavior Health. According to Vice President of Operations, Keith Arnold: "We are thrilled to have someone of Dr. Skipper's caliber; expertise and significant reputation join our team. He is recognized internationally as one of the premier physicians working in the area of physician health."
At Promises, Dr. Skipper will be responsible for program development, management of the Professionals Treatment Program and Intensive Diagnostic Evaluations, quality control, individual professional client care and communication with referring professionals and/or state programs.
Upon accepting his new position, Dr. Skipper wrote: "I look forward to once again being involved in direct patient care and especially the opportunity to work with the talented Promises team to bring new innovations and a new higher national standard for excellence in evaluation and treatment of professionals.”
Robert Martin, MD, a Promises veteran, has accepted the position of Associate Director of Professional Health Services. Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology with added qualifications in Forensic Psychiatry and Addiction Psychiatry, Dr. Martin is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
He is also a Clinical Professor, of Psychiatry at the University of Southern California and the former Medical Director of Addiction Medicine Services at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles.
Dr. Skipper will be joining Promises and the Elements team no later than September 1st of this year. We are thrilled to welcome Greg and his wife Ann to California and the Elements family.
For more information, please contact Jamie Deans, Professionals Outreach Director, Elements Behavioral Health, and Professionals Program Manager, Promises Treatment Centers, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 633-0294.